Romantic Cities Rheinland-Pfalz

Schloss Neuwied | Neuwied

That the Rhine represents a thoroughly lucrative income source as an important traffic route and a major economic axis was also clear to Count Friedrich III zu Wied in the middle of the 17th century. In 1653, he obtained authorisation from the Emperor to build a city Newen Wiedt on the site of the war-destroyed village of Langendorf. In 1648, he had bought up a complex close beside Langendorf from the Metternich family, which he proceeded to develop as a bastion and already named Newen Wiedt. French troops destroyed this residence in 1694. It was only his son, Count Friedrich Wilhelm who had a new castle built in the shape of a horseshoe according to plans from 1706 in the years 1707-1711, using Versailles as an example. The joining of the two side wings to make up the main building, the Corps de logis, remained undone due to lack of funds. These side wings, built in stages, were only completed in 1756. The complex stamps the cityscape to this day. It is the residence of the Prince’s family today and cannot be visited.

You can reach us at:

Schloss Neuwied
Schlossstr.
56564 Neuweid

Phone
e-mail
websitehttp://www.neuwied.de/schloss-neuwied.html

Links

Schloss_Neuwied_1 (Foto: RRT/ Katharina Schattner, Quelle: Tourist-Information Neuwied) Schloss Neuwied (Quelle: Tourist-Information Neuwied)
Arrival by train
bahn.de - Anreiseformular